On behalf of the General Management Committee and staff of Builth Wells Golf Club, I would like to wish members and non members a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year.
Hopefully everyone’s 2019 will be an enjoyable and healthy one!
The rules of golf will be changing as of 1st January 2019, please make sure you are aware of the new rules. The most important changes are displayed in the clubhouse, new players edition rule books are available in either the Pro Shop or clubhouse.
20 most important rules changes to the Rules of Golf 2019
1. 3 minute search time, no longer 5 minutes
2. No penalty for accidentally moving ball while searching. Ball must be replaced.
3. Embedded (plugged) ball rule in effect everywhere in general area, including rough, at all times.
4. A club length is defined as the player’s longest club except for their putter.
5. Drop ball from knee height.
6. Ball on wrong green, player is not allowed to take stance on a green to make a stroke.
7. Accidental hitting equipment is not a penalty, unless player is purposely trying to use as a backstop.
8. Double hits are no longer a penalty i.e. counted as 1 stroke not 2
9. In a bunker, you can smooth marks if not on the line. Also - able to lean on club in sand.
10. Can remove loose impediments anywhere, including a hazard/penalty areas. Ball cannot move or 1 stroke if it does.
11. Unplayable lie in a bunker, 4 options
a. 2 club lengths from the unplayable lie (remaining in bunker) - 1 penalty stroke.
b. 1 club length along the line of flight (remaining in bunker) - 1 penalty stroke.
c. Stroke and distance within 1 club length of original spot (remaining in bunker) – 1 penalty stroke
d. Drop behind outside of bunker along the line of flight - 2 penalty strokes.
12. Water hazards are now called penalty areas, and will be predominantly red. Players will no longer be able to drop on the far side of the red hazard (penalty area) i.e. 10th hole. The golf course can now mark any areas as penalty, with or without water.
13. Touching ground in a penalty area is allowed.
14. If ball moves on the green through act of nature (wind, slope, etc), player must replace on the original spot.
15. Accidental touching of ball on green is not a penalty, player must replace on original spot.
16. Repairing damage on a green can be performed at anytime (spike marks, pitch marks, old hole plugs) and anywhere. Natural imperfections are a part of the game so no smoothing entire line.
17. No positioning of a club to help line up a shot - Rule number 10
18. No help from a caddie to help line up a shot - Rule number 10
19. Hitting the flag in the hole is allowed even on putting green – Rule number 11
20. Ball wedged on flag stick, ball is considered holed if partly below the lip.
The Memorial Team of Three competition took place on Sunday 21st October with a fantastic entry of 39 teams (117 players) representing 13 different golf clubs. The weather conditions were perfect which was reflected in the overall scoring.
1st Chris Offa, Jeremy Pugh, Tom Offa (Builth Wells) 96 points £75.00
2nd Robert Collett, Alistair Paton, Gareth Dalgleish (Raglan Parc) 90 points £66.00
3rd Brett Williams, Shane Jones, Lee Davies (West Mon) 88 points £60.00
4th John Parker, Guy Walker, Roy Samuel (Builth Wells) 87 points £54.00
5th Julian Lee, Simon Whitcombe, Sean Pagett (West Mon) 83 points £45.00
6th Tom Davies, Colin Evans, Paul Pearson (Builth Wells) 82 points £39.00
1st Kim Allen, Steph Jenkins, Kay Coldrick (Builth Wells & Cradoc) 74 points £45.00
2nd Kara Parker, Sheila Saer, Dot Jones (Builth Wells) 71 points £39.00
Nearest the Pin 5th hole: Antony Bridgeman
2’s winners: £9.00 per two
Julian Lee x 2; Sean Pagett; Les Hall; Tom Mills; Jon Samuel; Norman Allen; Gareth Pearson;
Trevor Price; Nigel Griffiths; Chris Hughes; Heather Hughes; Clive Price; Dino Minoli; Colin Haywood; Sue Cooper; Chris Offa; Tom Offa;
The OCTOBER 72 Club draw has taken place, the lucky winners are shown below:
1st Mabel Bowen £100
2nd Trevor Price £80
3rd Margaret Richards £60
4th Val Rodgers £40
5th Les Jakeman £20
Anyone wishing to join the 72 Club please ask in the Pro Shop or Secretary's Office. The cost is £24.00 per year with 4 draws paying out a total of £1,200 plus in prize money.
The 2018 Open Weekend began with the Cumberland Cup team of four event on Friday 24th August. Ladies teams, men's teams and mixed teams took part with the overall best score winning the Cumberland Cup.
Cumberland Cup & Mixed winners -
Anne & Gordon Williams, Mandy & Mark White (Hollywood) 98 points
1st Josh Price, Ciaran Price, Jack Hammond, Chris Jones (Builth Wells) 97 pts
2nd Jon Samuel, Tom Samuel, Andrew Claridge, Billy Samuel (Builth Wells) 95 pts
3rd Tom Offa, Thomas Edwards, Harry Edwards, Aaron Evans (Builth Wells) 93 pts
2nd Kathy & Peter Clement, Fredericka & Mark Price (Machynys & Bryn Meadows) 93 pts
3rd Tina & Ian Kinsey, Elsbeth & Malcolm Morton (Hurlston Hall,Formby Ladies/Formby) 89 pts
1st Sheila Saer, Dot Jones, Kim Allen, Kay Coldrick (Builth Wells/Cradoc) 88 pts
2nd Lisa Hughes, Lindsay Jones, Sherrie Edwards, Hayley Price (Builth Wells) 83 pts
3rd Mo Inglis, Heather Hughes, Sandra Hodnett, Dee Rees (Looe/Builth Wells) 82 pts
Nearest the Pin 5th (Men) Dick Sawdon Smith
Hole In One 15th hole - Jon Samuel (Builth Wells)
Day 2 - Saturday 25th August - 4 Ball Better Ball stableford
Ladies - Manchester Trophy
1st Tina Kinsey & Elsbeth Morton (Hurlston Hall/Formby Ladies) 41 pts
2nd Elizabeth Derwent & Stevie Parker (Builth Wells/Maxstoke Park) 40 pts
3rd Carol Bancroft & Jenny Curley (Maxstoke Park) 39 pts
4th Chris Hughes & Debbie Roberts (Builth Wells/Baron Hill) 38 pts
5th Anne Williams & Mandy White (Hollywood) 38 pts
Nearest the Pin 5th hole - Elsbeth Morton (Formby Ladies)
Men - Jim Downs Cup
1st Antony Bridgeman & Guy Walker (Builth Wells) 44 pts
2nd Chris Jones & Steve Witherston (Builth Wells) 43 pts
3rd Phil Johnson & Nick Morgan (Builth Wells) 42 pts
4th Roger Booker & Allan Demery (Builth Wells) 41 pts
5th Gus Rubery & Paul Street (Rhondda) 41 pts
6th Carl Lloyd & Aaron Evans (Builth Wells) 41 pts
Nearest the Pin 5th hole - Terry Troth (Kings Norton)
Day 3 - Mixed Greensomes - Sunday 26th August
Due to heavy rainfall and the course being unplayable the Mixed Open was cancelled
A very bouncy golf course greeted the seniors playing in the 2018 Senior Men's Open. With lovely overcast conditions (cooler than of late), 89 players took to the course. Playing from the yellow tees, full handicap stableford, low scoring was difficult to come by. This years overall winner was home club member Trevor Price who scored 39 points playing off a handicap of 14. Full results as follows:
Overall Winner - Trevor Price (14) (Builth Wells) 39 points
Handicap 0 - 18:
Winner - Nick Hall (16) (Builth Wells) 39 points
2nd - David M. Thomas (9) (Monmouthshire) 38 points
3rd - Don Harris (12) (Builth Wells) 37 points
4th - John Parker (8) (Builth Wells) 37 points
5th - Peter Lewis (14) (St Idloes) 37 points
Handicap 19 - 28:
Winner - Mike Harvey (19) (Builth Wells) 37 points
2nd - Steve Newell (21) (Builth Wells) 37 points
3rd - David Saunders (21) (Builth Wells) 36 points
4th - Stephen Greenow (19) (Builth Wells) 34 points
5th - Gwyn Jones (19) (Brecon) 34 points
2's winners: £8.00 per two
Richard Robinson (Llanishen)
Peter Riley (Builth Wells)
John D G Davies (Llanishen)
Bryn Rees (Brecon)
Paul Richards (Rhondda)
John Parker (Builth Wells)
Nigel Thomas (Glyn Abbey)
On a glorious summer's day, 52 pairs took to the golf course playing a 4 ball better ball stableford, 90% handicap off the yellow tees. The golf course played very well which was reflected in the scores.
1st Graham Jackson (16) & Dave Saunders (22) Builth Wells 47 points £80.00
2nd Alan Topping (17) & Tim Brookes (25) Droitwich/Tewkesbury Park 42 points £70.00
3rd Mike Cook (13) & Ken Phillips (22) Penrhos 42 points £60.00
4th Allan Demery (18) & Steve Reynolds (25) Builth Wells 42 points £50.00
5th Nigel Davies (14) & Peter Riley (15) Builth Wells 41 points £40.00
6th James Allen (21) & Mick Mills (17) Builth Wells 41 points £35.00
7th Colin Bradley (15) & Nick Hall (16) Builth Wells 41 points £30.00
Nearest the Pin 5th Hole: Allan Demery (Builth Wells) £10.00
2's winners: £7.00 per two
Roger Slade (Pontnewydd); Martyn Hughes (Builth Wells); Terry White (Rhondda); Phil Atkins (Builth Wells); Owain Morgan (Brecon); Nigel Davies (Builth Wells); Tim Brookes (Tewkesbury Park) x 2; Peter Riley (Builth Wells)